Welcome to Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Buffalo, WY. We are a member of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS).
We welcome all people to hear the Word of God and we especially are a family friendly church, where children and adults of all ages come together to hear the Word of God in one space. The Sunday service is called a Divine Service where God (Divine) comes to serve us and care for us delivering his gifts of forgiveness through the Word and Sacrament. You can expect this church to be full of normal people, and you can expect the service to be historical and yet contemporary. Because the Divine Service is God’s gift to us, you can also expect this church will not be worldly entertainment but one of pious solemnity as we are strengthened in the faith received from our Heavenly Father. We are a Church, which in Scripture is called an ecclesia, who are gathered together by God and compromise people of all ages. We come together to live with one another, encouraging one another and are united in faith and doctrine (teaching). We are a congregation of sinners, which, simply put, means that no one is perfect, but rather we live a life of repentance, thankful that God chose to save sinners! Come and join us for our Divine Service at 9am on Sunday mornings and stay for fellowship, Bible study, and Sunday school at 10:30am.
A QUICK BACKGROUND
The LCMS was formed by Saxon German immigrants of 1838-1839 who left Germany seeking freedom of religious expression and settled in St Louis and Perry County, Missouri. The Synod was formed in 1847 as the German Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio, and Other States. The LCMS headquarters, called the International Center, remains in the St Louis area, in Kirkwood, Missouri. Prince of Peace is part of the Wyoming District of LCMS which was formed in 1970.
Our congregation was organized in 1972 and Rev. Marvin Temme, our first pastor, was installed in 1973. We accept all the Canonical Books of the Old and New Testaments as the verbally inspired, inerrant Word of God, and all the Symbolical Books of the Evangelical Lutheran Church contained in the Book of Concord of 1580 as a true and sound exposition of Christian teaching taken from and in full agreement with the Holy Scriptures. No teaching shall be tolerated in this congregation which is at variance with these Symbols of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
The design of the Prince of Peace sanctuary building, shown on our home page, is a post-modern “take” on the colonial saltbox style. It was dedicated in June 1977.
For a full history of the church, click here.
The Luther seal, or Luther rose, is a widely recognized symbol for Lutheranism. Designed for Martin Luther in 1530. Luther believed it a representation of the faith and theology of his faith, and used it as a seal for his correspondences.
About Pastor Gerald Heinecke
Pastor Heinecke has been our pastor since November of 2016. He received his masters of divinity in 2010 from Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He especially enjoys teaching both young and old and working with the youth. He and his wife, Erica, were married in 2003. She also serves part time as an organist here. She is a stay at home mom and they have four children, Malachi, Zachary, Avelyn, and Nathanael.
Pastor Heinecke has a wide variety of hobbies including hunting and fishing and board games as well as playing Nerf Wars with the youth group. He is a certified USSF soccer referee and is a member of the Johnson County Search and Rescue team.
Also, in August of 2020, we are pleased to announce that he is now a Chaplain in the Wyoming Army National Guard. Chaplain Heinecke serves the 960th BSB located in Sheridan, Wyoming.